En Brogue an interview with Hannah Rochell - Fashion Dress in The Present
News Update
Loading...

En Brogue an interview with Hannah Rochell

Photo: en brogue

Being a flat shoe lover, I'm pleased to see a new(ish) book by Hannah Rochell author of En Brogue the blog 'for people who love stylish footwear without the pain, bunions and back problems'. Such a good idea. The book, described as ' a girl's guide to flat shoes', includes Hannah's gorgeous hand drawn illustrations, Instagram pictures and lists 40 different types of flat shoes with tips on how to wear them. I think it would make a lovely gift, possibly for a younger member of the family - That Is My Age!

As features editor at InStyle magazine Hannah - who loves fashion, loves shoes, hates heels -  had just returned from the latest round of fashion weeks when I managed to catch-up with her for a chat:

Photo:wearandwhere
 

TNMA: Your illustrations are lovely, did you go to art school?

HR: Thank you! I always loved drawing - I spent hours as a child writing my own stories and illustrating them. In fact, I found a load of them recently and they are hilarious. I did GCSE graphic design and A-level art but I was criticised by my teachers for my portraits not being life-like enough; I guess they didn't spot that illustrating was my thing and I never thought to start drawing shoes! So although I got a place at art college I lost my nerve and studied theatre and TV instead. I picked the paintbrushes back up by chance when Mulberry's London Fashion Week invitation was a mini set of watercolours, a brush and a pad of paper. I haven't stopped since then.

TNMA: I love a comfy shoe and keep wondering if with more people like us, as well as the grown-up demographic, maybe flat shoes are here to stay. What do you think?

HR: I do wonder whether we will look back in twenty years' time and be baffled by how women ever tottered about in the high heels that were around at the tipping point just before flats came back into high fashion. Those super high heels are impossible for almost anyone to walk in (I admit, a small percentage of women can do it) and for me personally, aren't an attractive aesthetic at all. As with any trend though, sooner or later designers will want the exact opposite of what everyone is wearing, so no doubt heels will come back. But I don't think the woman on the street will necessarily feel like she has to wear them. The last few seasons have been a liberating time for those of us who would rather wear flats - particularly as brands are putting so much more effort into designing them - and I for one won't be putting on a pair of heels any time soon. So yes, I think the demand for flat shoes will stay put.

TNMA: How do you work full-time and keep your blog going? 

HR: I'm not going to lie - it's hard sometimes to keep the momentum going on the blog with a full-time job. I tend to get up early to write before work (it's early right now as I type this!) and then again in the evening too, though I'm strict about making sure I have time to spend doing neither with my husband. Luckily, as I've chosen to write about something I really love and am passionate about, it's never a chore, and the ideas come thick and fast. I keep a note pad by my bed and in my bag so I can jot things down as they occur to me. And I'll often write two or three posts in one go and schedule them to go up a different times, which gives me the freedom to have a social life as well. As for the illustrating - it's a great way to unwind at the weekend - my Saturday afternoon treat!


 
Flat shoes forever.



Share with your friends

Give us your opinion
Notification
welcome to my blog hopefully my content can be useful for you.
Done
Education, loan Education, loan